Monday, June 29, 2009

The Erickson Sisters in Japan

Mom, Nancy, and Jan came out for almost 3 weeks to visit. Among other things of losing baggage (Jan) and not especially liking the food (Nancy). I think it was all in all a good trip for them. They flew into Osaka, then spent a few days in Nara, a few days in Kyoto, a few days in Hiroshima/Miyajima; before heading down to Sasebo.

I, of course, was so excited for them to visit that I sat at the train station for 2 hours the day before they were supposed to arrive. I should have checked the dates better! So Brandt had dinner all ready, I was fuming because I thought they missed their train, and no one was the wiser until I thought to check in Itinerary again. Go figure. So then the next day (the correct day this time) they ended up getting in an hour later than planned because the ticket lady put them on the slow train. But at least they got here!

Brandt made a delicious dinner with fresh tomato sauce, to which Nancy thought was the best food she's had in Japan. The next day, Brandt and I had to work so the girls went down to Nagasaki to look around. That night we were having a Birthday dinner for my birthday so the last thing I told them was to be home by 4 pm and "not be late!". I Should have known. I ran my PRT that morning, finished work, then hurried home to get ready early so the bathroom woudl be free. By 5:30 (dinner was at 6pm), they still weren't back. Apparently, Mom thought she knew the way back and got all turned around. They finally made it home though but I was ready to start driving around looking for them! My Birthday dinner was good with the family and Xav and Nicole. Best birthday in Japan considering I was alone the year before :(

The next morning we woke up and headed to Arita for the Gold Week Porcelain Festival. "Good Deals" and "Big discounts" galore. Here's a funny Japanese sign...


































I introduced them to some "fair-type" Japanese food of Chicken nuggets and sweet potato fries. Yummy!















Such good little shoppers they were and we made it almost the whole 4 km of shops. Mom even found a sink to buy... (of course she couldn't decide whether to buy it so we had to come back twice! The first time the shop was closed and then the second time I dropped them off to "run and buy it quick". But Mom and Nancy got lost and it took over an hour. Oh brother!)















The shop was so cute and had fishing right out front. I'm not sure they were catching much in the little stream though.




















Who's this cute boy? Brandt rode his bike to meet us. Then on the way home, his tire was flat so he ended up running home. Poor Brandt.















As we slowly headed back, we saw these beautiful flowers and stopped to take pictures. The shop owner invited us in to view his wife's hand painted plates (at $500 per plate) and even gave us coffee and treats in his private garden. His wife sure had a green thumb!















All in all, it was a good day of shopping. Nancy and Jan bought me a tea server set to match my flower teacups and mo got me the Fukagawa Fish vase I have wanted for my birthday presents. I love my birthday!

That night we were pretty tired so we decided to head over to the Sushi-go-round for dinner. Nancy wanted another "American" meal and we had to literally force her to go to the restaurant to at least try some Japanese food. She had a little cooked shrimp and tempura Shrimp but that was about it...Not a very adventurous eater. Jan at least ate some seared Ahi and tried a few things. Mom did great trying everything - much better than the last time when they were here! Good Job Mom!

The next morning was a rainy, icky day. We looked around the 99 islands some and then went out on Xavier's boat. a few raindrop but not bad. At least everything was nice and green!






























Brandt made another home-cooked meal to please Nancy and then the next day, we were back to our shopping in Hasami. Not even the rain could deter us...although we probably spent less money since it was so wet. I did get a beautiful butterfly teacup to add to my collection. Jan even found some fan plates to buy - her first purchase!





























That night we met Brandt downtown and ate at Tonkchihan Yakitori place. Yummy! The next day it was clear and beautiful - finally - and a good day to head up to Hirado. It was the most beautiful day and the best day I have ever spent at the castle. Perfect views!















All the Azaleas were starting to bloom.







































I took them over to look at the pagoda and then of course on out tour to Ikitisuki island to see the big Buddha! I've been so often I really don't take many pictures unless it is unusual. I thought this picture turned out good.















Then Naomi had made us dinner reservations at Smooth. We literally had to yell at Nancy to get her out of the car since she wanted to stay in the car while we ate. What a party pooper! She was glad she came inside though as Smooth is utterly mouth watering!





























Wednesday morning we woke early and headed up to Mount Aso. The winds were pretty high though so they closed the lift to Naka-date to see the volcanic crater. If the winds are high then there is more sulfur gas, which will make you pass out apparently and "not good for health", so they close down access. I have yet to see it! I don't think it is ever open! Here are a few views of the gases.





























Here is the windy road to get up to the top. It is a wonder I was getting car sick last time Brandt drove!















We drove a little down the other side of the volcano to take a hike to Eboshi-dake (there are 4 main dakes - or peaks to the volcano). The book said there were sweeping views and especially beautiful at this time of the year due to the blooming azaleas. Hot so. It was still a little rainy and the trail was pretty slick. We gave up when the trail was so steep that I couldn't get up it in normal tennis shoes.















Doesn't look so fun - huh?















Part of the washed out stairs. Made for a difficult climb.




















It was started raining harder as we headed back in the car so we were glad we didn't go any further. Instead, we tried to find a different way to get to the top of Naka-dake. Along the way down there were beautiful views showing the ancient cauldron of the old ginormous volcano. The city of Aso sits completely inside. You have to drive up and down the steep walls of the old crater to get to the city. Basically, really windy roads is what that means. Blah! Glad I was driving!





























So we drive all the way around the volcano to find the road up the south side of the volcano and what do we see????!!! Exactly what we were looking for - Azaleas! The annual Azalea festival was going on. Perfect! The whole side of the hill was covered with them.
















On the way up to the azaleas we found this awesome temple tucked on the side of the volcano.





















































Every time we would stop to get a picture, Nancy woudl say "Just one person needs to take the picture and we will share, there is no need for us all to take pictures." But every time anyone else took a picture, Nancy took one just in case. I caught her in action here...















We had stopped at a Family Mart earlier to pick up sandwiches and snacks for lunch. I got a salad and mom got an egg salad sandwich but Jan's sandwich had anchovies on it. yummmmm!



































A beautiful place for lunch and in pure Japanese-style, they wee picnicking everywhere.













Of course Buddhas and the top of the hill.















This lady must have been in her late 70s but she was sprinting up and down the hill like she was 10 years old. Very Impressive.















From Mount Aso, we headed back up the side of the Cauldron to Kurokawa. We were very surprised that it only took 45 minutes for us to get there and mom did an awesome job as navigator. We got lost once but quickly figured it out. What most people don't know is that Japanese maps are never to scale and there are no street names. So your directions are something like "go about 1 kilometer then turn across from the city hall (all in Kanji characters) then drive 10 minutes until you see a gas station and take a left." So you try finding these places. The end result for most Japanese is just calling the hotel of area of destination and meeting them somewhere near. Unfortunately, my Japanese is not that good so I'm glad we found it! The hotel was beautiful and we had our own Suite, the Suoh Suite. It was normally 26,000 yen and should have been even more expensive for Golden Week, but Miho worked her magic only again and it was only 21,600 per person (including dinner and breakfast). Thanks Miho!











As we pulled up in our car, the hotel receptionist met us and carried all our bags into our room. Such wonderful service!















The Suoh suite entrance...




















Our Genkan, or front entry way, complete with a set of wooden clogs (Geta Sandals) for each of us.




















Views inside the room...




















We only saw these two beds and were unsure how we were going to fit 2 people in each bed.







































We had 2 private onsens attached to our room. One inside...




















and one outside with its own babbling brook. The water was piped straight from the springs into our tub but it was SO hot that we couldn't stay in long.


































Our first meal was a seven course dinner. Definitely food for the senses and I tried to tell the least amount of description for what they were eating until they tried it. We also had our own private dining room and a very wonderful waitress who spoke English. She even came back he next day, which was her day off even, to make sure we had plans to visit the other onsens in the area. So nice!















First course: They had this delicious berry wine that they make specifically at the hotel. I tried to buy a bottle but apparently it is noly for guests while at the hotel. Boo!















Second course: The fish on a stick was salted and I ended up asking the waitress how I was supposed to eat it. Surprisingly enough, just bite it off the stick. Scales and all!















Third course:















Fourth course: Beef tartar with spicy miso paste.















Fifth Course (tempura):















Sixth course: mushroom and rice; pickled carrot and cabbage; miso soup with mushroom and tofu. Boy have I grown fond of tofu since I've been here! Yum!















Seventh course (dessert): A choice of Sakura (Cherry blossom) pudding or ice cream















We would leave our shoes all amuck on the way in and they arrange all the shoes according to suite for you after you finish dinner. All the little details are so pleasant!















when we returned to our room - behold! We did not all have to sleep in the same bed after all. Whey laid out 2 more futons, which I snatched up one thinking the rice paper doors would provide some protection against the snoring orchestra. I was wrong though. I had to get up and get earplugs after the first 20 minutes.





















Trying on our Kimonos. Jan is striking a "bringing sexy back " pose.
















Even after the huge dinner we had, when we got back our room, there was fresh fruit and green tea prepared. I was so full but the fruit in Japan is definitely not to be missed! So I ate 2 servings. We tried early to buy some beer or alcohol but all the liquor shops close so early that we didn't make it is time. We ended up drinking beer from the minibar and sat around playing cards, then hit up the onsen that night to relax. We didn't realize until we checked out that all drinks were included in teh price. We woudl have ordered more beer! And had more of the berry wine sent to our room. Its always the hindsight that gets you.















The next morning, Jan slept in while Nancy, Mom and I donned our Kimonos and took a walk aroudn town. Absolutely beautiful morning after the rain we had the day before!




















Who are these 2 little geishas?




















The hotel also has pajamas for the morning breakfast with matching short kimonos. So many outfits!




















Roudn two: Breakfast. The Japanese eat the saem thing from breakfast as they do for lunch and dinner. No special sweets or cereal. But much to our surprise, they did have coffee. And a Coke for Nancy...There was sliced fruit, a salad with egg, cinnamon flavored tofu with sweet bean, smoked fish, pickled vegetables, "surprise" custard (that's what I call it - basically a jello like consistancy of chicken stock with fish caes, mushrooms, and other food items hidden within the custard. I love it!), Nato (fermented bean) which I DO NOT like and will not eat, Miso soup and then a tofu pudding that Jan thought woudl be sweet so she saved to eat it last. Perhaps the wasabi adn grated ginger to go with it woudl have been a good hint that it was not sweet. I didn't notice it until I tried it though. Opps.
















Pickled vegetables and sweet egg roll (Yum!).















AFter Breakfast, we were SO full once again. THe amazing thing is that you eat all this food but there aren't too many carbs and the porportions are so small that you are full but don't feel like you are going to throw up like with American foods. Much better. I am a little nervous to return to a western style or gorging myself everytime I eat. My stomach has definitley shrunk.















The part I lok most when I stay in hotels is how the hotel staff reponds to Elephantae. This time they put him in front of the alter and had him bowing. Proplr must think I'm so wierd for having a stuffed animal but it makes for an interestting test and he is so cute. No worse then bringing an ugly garden gnome to take pictures with!















After breakfast we went back a relxed with some tea adn then headed to the mixed onsen in our hotel.















Luckily it was early so we had the whole onsen to ourselves. The girls were happy we didn't have to share it with many men. There was a wonderful breeze and it sat right next to a river. So Peaceful.




















I don't know how people go onsen-hopping all day ebcause after 30 minuts or so, I am ready to getout and maybe do one more. But not all day! We checked out of our hotel and drove into town to visit one more onsen before heading home. The town of Kurokawa is like a little European village. Isolated, wuiet and very quaint. Nothing like Beppu! The town has nothing but spas and little shops.





























Checking out the town.




















Here you can see a good example of how they pipe in the hot water. Mom thought these Azalea bushes just happened to grow there. The Japanese plan everything when it comes to Natural esthetics. There is nothing "natural" about Japan. If it is osmething you think looks natural, at one point someone ripped out all the trees adn planted the more esthetic ones there to seem natural. Even down to placing rocks just so across the stream to make a path and then cememnting the rocks in pace just in case.


































We cam down one street and saw this huge commotion in the middle of the street. We walked closer to get a better look and it was al for this lady's ridiculous dogs with colored ears. Japanese are do funny with their pets.





























The town temple had all these guys inside drinking sake and beer. They even asked Mom and Nancy to come join them but unfortunately, we had to go home. I love free alcohol!




















Our second onsen was at Ikoi Ryokan. It's water fall bath was voted one of the top 100 onsens in Japan, very prestigious award. It had ladies baths upstrais (good for beauty adn skin) and mixed baths downstairs. Unfortuneately, the waterfall bath was mised and had males in them. We still went in and the males were very respectful adn got out when we were in. One guy even had to walk past and "bowed" apologizing for having to cut through. Mom was all upset he was walking through until I told her he apologized. Then I think she felt bad.







































This is past the "no cameras or pictures" sign so I had to hurry up and take the pictures before anyone saw me.




















The waterfall bath, not the best picture...




















Here's the online pictures...much better.

































Here's the women's bath upstairs. You are supposed to stretch and balance on those bamboo poles.















Ahhhhh, relaxed.


































WE decided this bakery smelled so good so we bought a crewm puff for lunch. It was this warm bun with was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Then they injected cold cream insde. So good! I bought one for Brandt to bring hoem to him but I don't think crankypants enjoyed it much since it took 2 hours to get home.















A good picture of the elusive Boys Day carp flags. Mom and Nancy ran all over trying to get a good picture with the flags flying. These flags can run up to $6000 each for the big ones like these. So crazy!









No comments: